Aphorisms Galore!

Discussions

Sometimes, users and visitors to Aphorisms Galore! feel the urge to comment on something, or even to start a discussion on a brand new topic. Sometimes, those users and visitors are living breathing human beings and not spam robots. When that happens, their messages show up here. (Some messages from spam robots may also appear from time to time, but I try to make sure they don't.)

241–260 (356)

Neils Bohr quote  ·  posted 2002 by Jeanne Ellis

Does anyone know where the following quote from Neils Bohr is from? I need the information for a cite.

Thanks.

Here is the quote: "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."

start  ·  posted 2002 by pete w.

just for fun, i thouhjt i'd start this off. was cousins a realist?

Some Strangeness in the Proportion  ·  posted 2002 by Booch

I was surprised to find this linked to Francis Bacon, but given the "strange proportions" of the phrasing, I guess that I should not have been. Previous to this, I had always associated the second half of this aphorism with Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.

Saying  ·  posted 2002 by Rob Riordan

I am looking for a common saying for me to express my disgust with the inability (laziness) of my teacher to post grades in the last month and a half, making it impossible to prioritize my time based on my need of dedicating time to certain classes.

Want to display how I am "walking blind with no stick" or "feeling through the dark" - something to that effect.

If you could think of one it would be greatly appreciated.

(no title)  ·  posted 2002 by martina

Two things can turn your life into missery or success- taking risks & believing in yourself!

wisdom  ·  posted 2002 by martina

A wise man always knows that he has chosen the right way cause he was never afraid of choosing the wrong one!

what you should do  ·  posted 2002 by martina

BE THE PILOT ON YOUR OWN PLANE!

what we want  ·  posted 2002 by martina

THE SKY HAS ITS STARS, THE SEA HAS ITS WAVES, THE WOOD HAS ITS TREES, BUT MAN WANTS TO HAVE EVERYTHING!

Wealth and Poverty  ·  posted 2002 by unknown

"While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of miseries." Although this is just one of the many clever remarks written here. I wanted to choose it, due to the fact that we live in a competitive society,, where money talks and has so much power. Being an idealist at 18 - 30 years of age, I make no claim to that today. The world we live in is truely a vicious jungle.

Woody Allen  ·  posted 2002 by Woody Allen

Can anyone direct me to a text that includes Allen's speech made on the Bible passage regarding "and a man shall cleveth to his wife" ?

(no title)  ·  posted 2002 by Richard Jurgensen

Not a true quote by Petronius  ·  posted 2002 by Derek Karnes

See http://www.research.att.com/~reeds/petronius.html

(no title)  ·  posted 2002 by matilda buchanan

I'm searching for the full text and context for a quotation by dorothy parker which discusses what women need at various stages of their lives: "At 18 a women needs good parents. . .at 50 a woman needs cash!" Pleas send any help you can give

Gore Vidal  ·  posted 2001 by Spacemummy

Sorry, no aphorisms matching your keywords (Gore Vidal) were found. Try adding or removing keywords, or searching in another way.

This is criminal! Get on the stick, people!

wisdom and ignorance  ·  posted 2001 by Mariel Harrell

Anyone can recognize a mistake, but it takes a wise man to learn from it.

wisdom and ignorance  ·  posted 2001 by Mariel Harrell

You will come to find that sometimes there is bliss in ignorance.

241–260 (356)